Sunday, October 7, 2007

Yeah, I was a vegetarian for ten years...

For some reason, in recent time, Sunday night has become "steak night" at our house. Sunday night is often the only time the whole family gets together for a meal. Lately, my brother Grady's lovely girlfriend Whitney has been joining us for Sunday night dinner. It was certainly not on purpose, but I think the first half dozen times she came over, we managed to be serving red meat. One night we had to promise her we'd fix something different the next weekend.


This evening though, I am oh-so-thankful for steak Sunday. Look at the gloooorious salads we created! As I was a vegetarian for a decade, I still love my veggies. The steak is such an integral part of this meal though! Even just for the color contrast. Ricky grilled a rosemary and balsamic marinated flank steak on the kingsize Weber, aptly named Bubbaque. I roasted some sweet Mayan onion, and some mushrooms with balsamic. Other goodies on the plate include blanched broccoli and cauliflower, mixed field greens, garden fresh mister stripey and sun sugar tomatoes, red bell pepper, raw red onion, and french bread crisped on the grill with some butter and mediterranean sea salt/garlic mixture. I made a dijon dressing, Jenni chose Newman's own light balsamic vin, and Ricky loves Litehouse Chunky Bleu Cheese. The bleu cheese really is fantastic with the red onion, the cruciferous veg, and of course, the steak...so Jenni and I used up some of that too.


Grady and Whitney couldn't make it for dinner tonight, but this is one steak Sunday they'll probably be sad they missed out on. Oh well, there's always next weekend!

No comments: